Home » Posts tagged 'Power station'
Tag Archives: Power station
The Gaza plant supplies about a third of the territory’s electricity needs [Al Jazeera]
|A shortage of fuel has halted the production of electricity across the Gaza Strip, the Energy Authority in the Palestinian enclave said.
“The power plant has been shut down due to fuel shortage. The stock of fuel is zero. All parts of life in Gaza will be affected.” Fathi el-Sheikh Khalil, the authority’s deputy chairman, told Al Jazeera.
The electricity supply had been cut off across most of the territory on Friday morning.
Khalil blamed the power outage on Israel’s destruction of tunnels used for bringing fuel to Gaza and accused the Western-backed Palestinian Authority of charging Hamas too much for its fuel.
“Less than 50 percent of the needs of the Gaza Strip are currently covered by electricity from Israel [and] we can no longer get Egyptian fuel due to the destruction of tunnels from Egypt,” he said.
The Palestinian Authority pledged last week to deliver fuel to Gaza without a usual tax, allowing the Hamas government to buy 400,000 litres of fuel a day.
But the Authority cancelled its offer of a tax exemption, Khalil said in a statement, making it difficult for the Gaza authorities to afford the fuel.
The Gaza plant supplies about a third of the territory’s electricity needs.
In addition to the power plant, which produces up to 65 megawatts, Israel feeds the strip with 120 megawatts and Egypt pours in 27 megawatts.
Gaza residents have endured around eight hours of daily blackouts in recent years because of fuel shortages. The Gaza Energy Authority said the power plant’s closure means Palestinians could suffer 12 hours of daily blackouts.
“The plant will remain shut until fuel supplies resume from Egypt through the tunnels or the Rafah border crossing, or from Israel if the Palestinian Authority agrees not to impose the heavy taxes,” said Khalil.
In September, the Gaza Energy Authority warned of an impending shortage of fuel and called on Egypt to resume deliveries to the territory.
Relations between Cairo and Hamas have deteriorated since the Egyptian army ousted President Mohamed Morsi in July.
An Israeli raid to destroy a Gaza tunnel ignited clashes late Thursday in which tank fire killed four Hamas commanders and five Israeli soldiers were wounded, officials from both sides said.
- Israeli Gaza strike kills three Palestinian militants – Reuters UK (uk.reuters.com)
- 4 Hamas members killed in Israeli Gaza raid (worldbulletin.net)
- Power outage across Gaza as fuel runs out: Hamas (dailystar.com.lb)
CBC News – Canada’s Electric Power Generating Stations. (FULL ARTICLE)
This map shows the types of power plants each region uses and how Canada’s power supply is expected to evolve between 2011 and 2020, based on changes the provinces plan to make to their generating capacity.
The map’s default display shows the power plants across Canada that generated 50 megawatts or more in 2010. Use the tabs along the bottom edge of the map to turn the display of specific types of plants on or off. Use the “satellite” view in the top right corner and the plus-minus zoom bar on the left side of the map to zoom in on an aerial view of a plant.
Clicking on a plant’s icon provides a description of the plant and links to related features about power generation technology, issues and provincial strategies.
Use the Year slider below the tabs to see how the mix of generating stations is expected to change from year to year between 2010 and 2020 as old plants are taken off-line and new ones are built. Use the Capacity slider to adjust the view to show the power stations with a specific generating capacity….
- hydro eletcricity (foctavioal.wordpress.com)
- Churchill Falls Generating Station in Churchill Falls, Canada (atlasobscura.com)
- Japan to capture sunlight from orbit through spatial power stations (tokyotimes.com)
- Power cut hits the Greek island of Santorini (arunbabyveranakunnel.wordpress.com)
- Greek travel island hit with electricity blackout (dailystar.com.lb)
- Power cut hits island of Santorini (bbc.co.uk)
- Blaze at electricity plant leaves Greek resort island of Santorini without power (foxnews.com)
- Fire causes blackout on Greek resort island (sandiego6.com)
- Obama will reportedly introduce new carbon emissions rules in climate change speech (scooprocket.com)
- What’s Really Behind Obama’s New Climate Plan? (itmakessenseblog.com)
- Obama to take on power plant emissions as part of climate plan (business.financialpost.com)
- Obama to lay out climate change plan in speech on Tuesday (business.financialpost.com)
- Power plant limits at center of Obama climate plan (kvue.com)