Home » Posts tagged 'Natural environment'
Tag Archives: Natural environment
London, UK – The poet William Blake described Britain’s landscape as a “green and pleasant land” but much of the countryside – from the mighty oak tree to the humble hedgehog – are at serious risk.
Conservation groups and scientists have warned in an alarming report that a staggering 60 percent of UK plant and animal species have declined in recent decades, while more than 10 percent are at risk of being lost entirely.
Intensive farming, sprawling urbanisation and climate change as well as an invasion of species and diseases from abroad are combining in a perfect storm to threaten Britain’s fragile natural environment.
The State of Nature, a report compiled by a coalition of 25 conservation groups working together for the first time, warns that wildlife in the UK is under serious threat.
|Common species like the lesser spotted woodpecker, barbastelle bat and hedgehog are vanishing before our eyes.
-Dr Mark Eaton, conservation scientist
Its lead author, Dr Mark Eaton, a principal conservation scientist at the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), said: “This report reveals that the UK’s nature is in trouble – overall we are losing wildlife at an alarming rate. These declines are happening across all countries and UK overseas territories, habitats and species groups, although it is probably greatest amongst insects, such as our moths, butterflies and beetles.”…
- Green compensation scheme outlined (bbc.co.uk)
- We must grow the rural economy and improve the natural environment (economicvoice.com)
- Kill, or to kill for? (ecologyblogger.wordpress.com)
- What is Ecocide? (wildlawdoc.wordpress.com)
- Why protecting Canada’s boreal forest is crucial to global ecology (theglobeandmail.com)
- Developed nations squandered earth’s resources: Samaram (thehindu.com)
- Statistics – national statistics: Sustainable development indicators (SDIs) (gov.uk)
- The United Nations Praises Results of Cuba’s Environmental Actions (youthandeldersja.wordpress.com)
- We are way off target if we hope to feed everyone by 2050 (io9.com)
- Algae Biofuels Unsuitable For Developing Nations, Study (asianscientist.com)
- EU and China together explore the benefits of green growth (ec.europa.eu)
- Tax cut for shale gas firms planned (bbc.co.uk)
- Why we need an ecosocialist revolution (climateandcapitalism.com)
- Forget global warming!? Earth undergoing global COOLING since 2002! Climate Scientist Dr. Judith Curry: ‘Attention in the public debate seems to be moving away from the 15-17 year ‘pause’ to the cooling since 2002′ (climatedepot.com)
- From global warming to fluoride: Why do people deny science? (salon.com)