Home » Posts tagged 'Greek'
Tag Archives: Greek
This morning we were treated to the usual stupifying comments from Greek leadership that “Greece won’t need more loans,” and will “start becoming a normal country,” because the Greek ‘recovery’ is “built on solid foundations.” However, it appears the public-at-large is not so happy as the BBC reports shots were fired at the German ambassador’s residence in Athens. Samaras said Greeks “have gone through hard times.” With over 60 bullets fired, it seems the someone is upset that their union overlords won’t lift those hard times anytime soon…
Shots were fired at the German ambassador’s residence in Athens early on Monday, without causing injury.
Bullets were found embedded in the steel gate, Greece’s Kathimerini news website reports.
Ambassador Wolfgang Dold’s residence is in the Greek capital’s Halandri district. The raid took place at around 03:30 local time (01:30 GMT).
It is not clear who the attackers were. Germany’s insistence on budget cuts has caused much resentment in Greece.
At least 60 spent bullet casings were found at the scene of the attack. Police say the bullets came from two Kalashnikov assault rifles.
So far no-one has admitted carrying out the attack.
In a message to the unidentified perpetrators, Mr Dold said “whoever is responsible for this act: you will not succeed in disrupting the close and friendly relations of our two countries”.
He was in the residence when the shots were fired.
German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said Berlin took the attack “very seriously” and “nothing, absolutely nothing, can justify such an attack”.
The Greek government called it a “cowardly terrorist action” aimed at undermining Greece’s six-month presidency of the EU, which begins on 1 January.
Germany is the biggest lender involved in the Greek bailout – a 240bn-euro (£200bn; $331bn) rescue for the debt-laden country that started in 2010.
The bailout conditions require Greece to rein in public spending, and that has meant hardship for Greeks who have lost their jobs or who now pay more for essential services.
In 1999 the ambassador’s residence was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade, in an attack claimed by the now defunct radical left-wing group November 17.
- Special forces reservists call for resignation of government (realdemocracybristol.wordpress.com)
- Greece probes blog post calling for gov’t change (thenewstribune.com)
- Greek special forces website calls for coup (thetimes.co.uk)
- Greek youth unemployment soars to 64.9pc (telegraph.co.uk)
- Greek jobs crisis deepens (money.cnn.com)
- Greece Isn’t Turning the Corner – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Greek Bailout Went To Wealthy, Investors (greece.greekreporter.com)
- Greece ” suddenly ” finds a 1.2 billion hole in its healthcare budget ! Meanwhile , as the Coalition seeks to find a way out of the ERT debacle which as it stands today , ERT is still off the air despite the Administrative Court Order of Monday ! And Troi (fredw-catharsisours.blogspot.com)
- Greek capital’s mayor vows to ban ‘racist’ charity (foxnews.com)
- Athens mayor attacked by far-Right MP over breakup of “Greeks only” food handout (nzweek.com)
- Tear gas against racist “Greeks only” food handout, GD lawmaker attacks Athens Mayor (keeptalkinggreece.com)
- Police stop Greek far right party from handing out free food to Greeks only – Fox News (foxnews.com)
- Athens police stop far right handout (oddonion.com)
- Greek police prevents ‘Greeks only’ food handout (utsandiego.com)
- Golden Dawn food rally raises tensions in Athens (guardian.co.uk)
- Thousands protest against Greek government’s austerity measures (independent.co.uk)
- Far right Golden Dawn hand out free food in Athens (itv.com)
- Return of the far right: Greece’s financial crisis has led to a rise in violent attacks on refugees (independent.co.uk)