Home » Posts tagged 'Genetically modified food'
Tag Archives: Genetically modified food
European Commission To Ban Heirloom Seeds and Criminalize Plants & Seeds Not Registered With Government – Healthy Debates | Healthy Debates
(Arjun Walia) The European Commission is changing the European Union’s plant legislation, apparently to enhance food safety across the continent. This move has sparked a heavy opposition from many, saying that the measure will threaten seed diversity and favour large agrochemical businesses. This new law creates new powers to classify and regulate all plant life anywhere in Europe. You can view the entire proposal in the list of sources at the bottom of this article.
The “Plant Reproductive Material Law” regulates all plants. It contains restrictions on vegetables and woodland trees, as well as all other plants of any species. It will be illegal to grow, reproduce, or trade any vegetable seed or tree that has not been been tested and approved by the government, more specifically the “EU Plant Variety Agency.” This agency will be responsible for making a list of approved plants and an annual fee must also be forwarded to the agency if growers would like to keep what they grow on the list. The new law basically puts the government in charge of all plants and seeds in Europe, and prevents home gardeners from growing their own plants from non-regulated seeds. If they did, they would now be considered criminals.
The draft text of the law has already been changed several times due to a large backlash from gardeners.
This law will immediately stop the professional development of vegetable varieties for home gardeners, organic growers and small scale market farmers. Home gardeners have really different needs – for example they grow by hand, not machine, and can’t or don’t want to use such powerful chemical sprays. There’s no way to register the varieties suitable for home use as they don’t meet the strict criteria of the PLant Variety Agency, which is only concerned about approving the sort of seed used by industrial farmers – Ben Gabel, Director of The Real Seed Catalogue
It seems the government is taking over everything, virtually all plants, vegetables seeds and gardeners are to be registered by the government. What’s even more disturbing is that all heirloom seeds will be criminalized. This means that saving seeds from from one generation to the next will become a criminal act!
This law was written for the needs of the globalized farm seed industry, who supply seed by the ton to industrial farmers. It should not apply at all to seed used by home gardeners and small market growers. Freely reproducible seeds should be a human right, they are part of our heritage.
I understand this is to protect the business of big agri-companies, but registration and testing should be voluntary for all non GMO, non-patented and non hybrid seed.
Why I Won’t Be Charitable When The SHTF | The Daily Sheeple. (FULL ARTICLE)
I have learned a great deal since I came on board here at The Daily Sheeple. I have read and listened to the opinions of many who are far further down the line of preparedness than I am, and although it may make me unpopular, I disagree with a some of what they say.
Of course agreeing or disagreeing with someone is purely personal choice. I am not saying they are wrong, just that I disagree with them.
Take for instance the charity aspect of prepping.
Many of the big names in prepping advocate that we should show solid Christian values in times of crisis and lay aside some essential items to give away to those that pass through who are less fortunate that ourselves.
NOT A CHANCE.
It has nothing to do with the fact that I have prepared, that I have scrimped and saved, and they possibly have not. It has nothing to do with greed on my part and to hell with all others. It has to do with the survival of my family.
A great deal is made on all prepping sites about OPSEC. Keeping low and not attracting attention, and this is where the trouble starts.
I know for a fact that if I had been given food, water and maybe a few other essential items by someone I passed along the way I would remember them.
I know that if the survival of my children was at stake and I couldn’t provide for them I would revisit the person that had assisted me in the hope of getting more supplies.
I know I would do anything I had to do to feed my kids, to keep them alive. Now if I could trade something, work for the food I would certainly do so. What happens though if the answer is no, we’re fine thanks, off you go?
Think about this….
- Could Prepping Become Illegal Here Too? Venezuelan Govt to Detain “Hoarders” (thesurvivalplaceblog.com)
- 10 Prepping Mistakes That Could Get You Killed (And How To Avoid Them) (givemeliberty01.com)
- SHTF Survival: 10 Survival Tools That Should Be In Your Survival Pack (thedailysheeple.com)
- ‘You Should Have Expected U.S.’: Series of Attacks Hit Midwest Ahead of Massive Electric Grid Drill (thedailysheeple.com)
Organizers say more than 400 demonstrations took place around the world on Saturday, in an effort to call attention to what the protesters claim are dangers posed by genetically modified food and the food giants that produce it.
The “Occupy Monsanto” group focused their efforts on one corporation — Monsanto, a leading producer of genetically engineered seed.
Rallies were held across Canada and the United States, in Europe, Australia, Brazil, Colombia and South Africa, among others.
Genetically modified plants or organisms, commonly called GMOs, are often created to resist disease and eliminate the need for pesticides.
In Vancouver, where nearly 4,000 people marched through downtown streets, organizer Lili Dion called on the public to educate themselves.
“I want people to ask questions,” she said. “A lot of people, it’s surprising, don’t know what GMOs are, or the lack of testing and how much it is in our food. So I just want people to ask questions… do your own research.”…
- “No Monsanto!” …… World marches against GMO food! (hrexach.wordpress.com)
- ‘No Monsanto!’: World marches against GMO food (EndtheLie.com)
- GM crops: UK environment secretary to push for relaxation of EU rules (guardian.co.uk)
- The agricultural revolution – UK pushes Europe to embrace GM crops (independent.co.uk)
- Truth About GM Crops (expertscolumn.com)
- Exclusive: The agricultural revolution – UK pushes Europe to embrace GM crops (familysurvivalprotocol.com)
- BBCNews – Matt McGrath – UK Public Must Be Persuaded On GM, Says Environment Secretary – 20 June 2013 (lucas2012infos.wordpress.com)
- Suffolk: GM crops could be important ‘tool’ to cope with population boom and extreme weather (eadt.co.uk)
- UK public must be persuaded on GM, says environment secretary (arunbabyveranakunnel.wordpress.com)
- Monsanto Concedes Defeat in the Face of Europe’s Fierce Opposition to GMOs (thedailysheeple.com)
- Worldwide Protest in 436 Cities Targets Monsanto and GMOs (mashable.com)
- Global March Against Monsanto(#MAM) – Big Island Style (my.firedoglake.com)
- Hundreds March Against Monsanto (minnesota.cbslocal.com)