Home » Posts tagged 'Gaza Strip'
Tag Archives: Gaza Strip
The girl was killed and her family were wounded in an air strike on a refugee camp in Gaza [Reuters]
|A three-year-old Palestinian girl was killed and at least six other people wounded in a series of Israeli air and tank strikes on the Gaza Strip, medical sources said.Medics named the girl as Hala Abu Sabikha from the central Gaza Strip, noting “three other members of her family were wounded” on Tuesday.
Emergency services spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra said six people had been wounded in a series of strikes, which came in response to the shooting to death earlier of an Israeli repairing the security fence separating Gaza from Israel.
The Hamas interior ministry said Abu Sabikha and her family were injured in an air strike on a refugee camp in central Gaza.
It also said a person was moderately wounded in a tank shelling near the Karni crossing in northern Gaza and that there were two other air strikes on militant positions in northern Gaza, where no casualties were reported.
The Israeli army said aircraft, tanks and infantry “targeted terror sites in the Gaza Strip” in retaliation for the shooting of the Israeli.
“The sites targeted were a weapon-manufacturing facility and a terror infrastructure in the southern Gaza Strip, a terror site and another terror infrastructure in the central Gaza Strip and a concealed rocket launcher in the northern Gaza Strip,” an army statement said.
The Gaza plant supplies about a third of the territory’s electricity needs [Al Jazeera]
|A shortage of fuel has halted the production of electricity across the Gaza Strip, the Energy Authority in the Palestinian enclave said.
“The power plant has been shut down due to fuel shortage. The stock of fuel is zero. All parts of life in Gaza will be affected.” Fathi el-Sheikh Khalil, the authority’s deputy chairman, told Al Jazeera.
The electricity supply had been cut off across most of the territory on Friday morning.
Khalil blamed the power outage on Israel’s destruction of tunnels used for bringing fuel to Gaza and accused the Western-backed Palestinian Authority of charging Hamas too much for its fuel.
“Less than 50 percent of the needs of the Gaza Strip are currently covered by electricity from Israel [and] we can no longer get Egyptian fuel due to the destruction of tunnels from Egypt,” he said.
The Palestinian Authority pledged last week to deliver fuel to Gaza without a usual tax, allowing the Hamas government to buy 400,000 litres of fuel a day.
But the Authority cancelled its offer of a tax exemption, Khalil said in a statement, making it difficult for the Gaza authorities to afford the fuel.
The Gaza plant supplies about a third of the territory’s electricity needs.
In addition to the power plant, which produces up to 65 megawatts, Israel feeds the strip with 120 megawatts and Egypt pours in 27 megawatts.
Gaza residents have endured around eight hours of daily blackouts in recent years because of fuel shortages. The Gaza Energy Authority said the power plant’s closure means Palestinians could suffer 12 hours of daily blackouts.
“The plant will remain shut until fuel supplies resume from Egypt through the tunnels or the Rafah border crossing, or from Israel if the Palestinian Authority agrees not to impose the heavy taxes,” said Khalil.
In September, the Gaza Energy Authority warned of an impending shortage of fuel and called on Egypt to resume deliveries to the territory.
Relations between Cairo and Hamas have deteriorated since the Egyptian army ousted President Mohamed Morsi in July.
An Israeli raid to destroy a Gaza tunnel ignited clashes late Thursday in which tank fire killed four Hamas commanders and five Israeli soldiers were wounded, officials from both sides said.
- Israeli Gaza strike kills three Palestinian militants – Reuters UK (uk.reuters.com)
- 4 Hamas members killed in Israeli Gaza raid (worldbulletin.net)
- Power outage across Gaza as fuel runs out: Hamas (dailystar.com.lb)
- Israel hits back after Gaza strip rockets (updatednews.ca)
- West Bank and the Gaza Strip to face worsening food insecurity (spyghana.com)
- Lieberman after rockets: ‘Israel has no choice but to consider conquering Gaza’ (haaretz.com)
- Palestine decries Israel’s new outposts plan – Middle East – Al Jazeera English (ramyabdeljabbar.wordpress.com)
- Army Bombards Several Areas In Gaza (nsnbc.me)
- West Bank hunger striker exiled to Gaza – Middle East – Al Jazeera English (ramyabdeljabbar.wordpress.com)
- Israel air raids target Gaza militants: witnesses (dailystar.com.lb)
- Israel strikes targets in Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire (haaretz.com)
- Israel launches segregated bus service – Middle East – Al Jazeera English (ramyabdeljabbar.wordpress.com)
- Erdogan’s Gaza plan has not changed- report (worldbulletin.net)
- Israeli air strike hits Gaza militant base after rocket fired: military (news.terra.com)