Russia has lashed out following comments from US Secretary of State John Kerry:
- *RUSSIA SAYS KERRY THREATS ARE `UNACCEPTABLE’
- *RUSSIA SAYS KERRY ISN’T ANALYSING SITUATION IN UKRAINE
- *KERRY IS USING COLD WAR SLOGANS, RUSSIA FOREIGN MINISTRY SAYS
In comments on the Russian foreign ministry website, Lavrov added:
- *RUSSIAN MEASURES IN UKRAINE ARE `REASONABLE,’ `LEGAL’: FOR.MIN.
- *U.S., ALLIES IGNORED VIOLENCE, RUSSOPHOBIA IN UKRAINE PROTESTS
- *G-8 HALT OF PREPARATIONS FOR SUMMIT IS UNCONSTRUCTIVE: RUSSIA
In addition, EU ministers debate freezing the assets of Ukrainians responsible for corruption and “targeted measures” against Russia if no change of course is undertaken.
- *EU Ministers Debate Freezing Assets of Ukrainians Responsible for Corruption – Draft Text
- *EU Debates Calling Russian Crimea Actions “Invasion” – Draft Text
- *EU Commends Ukraine’s Response to Russia Actions – Draft
- *EU Will Suspend Visa Negotiations with Russia – Draft Text
- *EU Debating Placing Arms Embargo on Russia If No Change of Course
- *EU Could Prepare Future “Targeted Measures” vs Russia If No Change in Course – Draft
Perhaps most notable though this morning was the following headline:
- *RUSSIA DEP FORMIN KARASIN SPOKE ON UKRAINE W/ CHINA COUNTERPART
- *RUSSIA: CHINA EXPRESSED UNDERSTANDING OF ITS UKRAINE ANALYSIS
- *RUSSIA, CHINA DISCUSSED UKRAINE’S INTERNAL POLITICAL CRISIS
In other words, China was well aware of the plan and appears comfortable taking sides.