How to Keep Warm – Wildwood Survival.
How to Keep Warm
by Walter Muma
|Here are some tips on keeping warm.
|While sleeping (trying to sleep):
- Put a warm hat on – your head loses a lot of heat.
- Use your coat as another warm layer on top of your sleeping bag.
- Are your socks dry? If damp, they might be chilling your feet. Put on clean and dry socks.
- Add layers – put on clothing – clean and dry clothes are best.
- Drink something hot or warm.
- Wake up.
- Eat something – just a snack.
- Go for a pee – your body is using energy to keep that extra liquid warm.
- Get up and build a fire to get warm. Then go back to bed.
- Tense and relax muscles for a while – the passive equivalent of getting some exercise.
- Use a hi-tech solution – instant hand and feet warmers – those little packets that you squeeze and get warm.
- Make sure you are well enough insulated underneath.
- If you are in a primitive shelter, ensure no breeze is getting in, and that you are not exposed to the sky.
- Cozy up with a partner. If you are getting seriously cold, this is the most effective way to get warm, and it is no time to be shy or reluctant.
|To get or keep warm while out and about:
- Stay out of the wind. Seek out a sheltered spot.
- Wear a warm hat
- Build a fire – remember that in the winter, in most places, you can always stop and make a fire (provided you have the means to do so!).
- Drink something hot.
- Go for a pee – your body is heating that extra water for no reason.
- Be comfortable – being uncomfortable can make you colder by being mentally stressed.
- Be mentally prepared to be a little bit cooler than your ideal of being “nice and warm”.
- Stay active, but don’t sweat.
- Use a hi-tech solution – instant hand and feet warmers – those little packets that you squeeze and they get warm.
- Eat something, more like a snack.
- Put on more clothing.
- If your feet are damp, put on clean dry socks, and wear dry boots.
- Eat fatty foods.
- If the sun is out, tilt your face towards the sun – you can absorb a lot of heat this way.
- Sit close beside another person.