Kenya’s government is facing questions over whether it ignored warnings about last week’s siege on a shopping centre.
A leaked intelligence report obtained by Al Jazeera says security agencies were alerted about a possible attack on Westgate mall about a year ago.
According to the report, officers were warned that al-Shabab was planning suicide attacks on the Westgate shopping centre and the Holy Family Basilica, a church in Nairobi, in September last year.
In January this year, the report looked at the possibility of attackers storming a building and holding hostages, much like the siege last week.
Earlier this month, the Israeli embassy in Nairobi raised concerns about a possible attack on Israeli citizens during the Jewish Holiday period in September, and also revealed that a number of Somalia-based al-Shabab fighters were apparently given refugee cards to enter Kenya.
Al Jazeera’s Nazanine Moshiri, reporting from Nairobi, said the end of the report is also quite damaging to the Kenyan government as it lists recipients of the intelligence document, which includes top cabinet officials.
- Ontario facing “chronic” youth unemployment (o.canada.com)
- Ontario’s youth unemployment among worst in Canada (newscanada-plus.com)
- Youth unemployment around the world (globalkib.wordpress.com)
- Ontario youth unemployment felt deeply across province, hardest in Toronto (metronews.ca)
- Private sector must help youth unemployment crisis, says Kathleen Wynne (metronews.ca)
- Dianne Feinstein Accidentally Confirms That NSA Tapped The Internet Backbone (reallibertymedia.com)
- NSA Spying On Everything (washingtonsblog.com)
- New rules urged over FBI drone use (bbc.co.uk)
- Domestic drones aren’t new: the FBI has used them since 2006 (techi.com)
- Justice Department spent nearly $5M on drones (cbsnews.com)
- Jacob Chamberlain – ACLU Slams DOJ Over Unchecked Drone Program (prn.fm)
- Why is Canada’s jobs data on such a wild ride? (business.financialpost.com)
- Canada poised for worst job market in 12 years outside recession (business.financialpost.com)
- Canada’s jobs growth beats forecasts, jobless rate falls to 7.1% (business.financialpost.com)
- Canada gains jobs in August but mainly part-time, older workers (cbc.ca)
- Canada / The Jobs Data Mystery goes on (Well, we know that the LFS sample is small…) (jobmarketmonitor.com)
- Canadians on hunger strike in Egyptian jail claim they were beaten (theguardian.com)
- Detained in Egypt: Canadians Tarek Loubani and John Greyson saw dozens die before their arrest (vancouversun.com)
- Greyson and Loubani still held in Egyptian prison (thestar.com)
- Canadians describe detention conditions in Egypt (newscanada-plus.com)
- Photos: Hundreds rally in London for Tarek Loubani, John Greyson (metronews.ca)
- Tarek Loubani and John Greyson say that prior to arrest they saw 50 die in Cairo demonstration (macleans.ca)
- Greek police arrest Golden Dawn leader Nikolaos Michaloliakos (theguardian.com)
- Greek far-right leader, others arrested (news.yahoo.com)
- Greece: Golden Dawn leader and MPs arrested (wdsu.com)
- Hundreds of Nationalists outside the Courts. Nobody can stop Golden Dawn’s determination! (xaameriki.wordpress.com)
- Greece: Golden Dawn leader and MPs arrested (wyff4.com)
- Greek far-right leader, other legislators arrested (news.yahoo.com)
- Greek police arrest far-right Golden Dawn party leader (euronews.com)
- Boehner: Delay Obamacare, or We Shut Down the Government (enumclaw.com)
- Odds of a government shutdown spike as GOP unveils new spending bill (firstread.nbcnews.com)
- GOP move on Obamacare all but ensures shutdown (afgelocal704.org)